Request for NIH HEAL Initiative Funding
Expressing support for the designation of September 2020 as “Pain Awareness Month” and recognizing the disproportionate impact of migraine disease and headache disorders on women.
Deadline: April 12, 2021
In collaboration with our 14th annual Headache on the Hill event, we invite you to reach out to your Members of Congress and advocate for their support of much needed funding for research from the NIH HEAL Initiative specific to migraine and headache disorders.
Headache Disorders cause extraordinary burden.
- Migraine is the 2nd leading cause of US and global disability.
- 60 million Americans have migraine.
- Cluster headache, widely reputed to be the most severe pain that humans can experience, impacts 500,000 Americans.
NIH has neglected research on headache disorders.
- Headache disorders are the least funded NIH research area among the most burdensome diseases
- NIH has failed to prioritize programs for headache disorders research despite 17 Congressional statements “strongly” urging NIH to do so since 2009
Request $50m funding for NIH headache disorders research
WHY: Reach out to your member of Congress to request their support for additional focused funding on headache disorders to reduce disease burden
HOW: Click the link to the right to Contact Your Representative. You will complete a brief form to help the system determine which Representative to direct your message to. There is a pre-formatted email to send to your Representative and the option for a brief personalization of the message.
QUESTIONS? If you have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org