NIH Funding of research into Headache Disorders:
There can be little doubt that the healthcare system in the United States has problems. One of them is the lack of adequate funding for basic research, much of which must be funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Not only is the NIH underfunded by Congress, but research funding is not allocated in a way to best meet the needs of American citizens. Diseases and conditions that affect fewer citizens sometimes receive more funding than those that affect more. Migraine disease and other headache disorders are among those conditions that receive less research funding than other conditions that receive more funding. Addressing this disproportionate funding was among the first undertakings of the Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy (AHDA).
In September, 2007…
- Doctors, scientists, and patient advocates went to Congress to plead our case for increased NIH funding for research into migraine and other headache disorders. We called this event “Headache on the Hill.”
- Headache on the Hill made progress, but it was known that the necessary increases in NIH funding would not happen overnight and would require persistent advocacy on the part of many people.
- The Alliance for Headache Disorders Advocacy became a new organization made up of doctors, other healthcare professionals, research scientists, and patients just like you. Our current mission is to increase NIH funding for research into headache disorders.
Since Sept 2007…
- ADHA initiatives have focused on improving specific policies of multiple federal agencies including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Food and Drug Administration (FDA), Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS), Social Security Administration (SSA), Department of Defense (DoD) and the US Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).
These articles will provide you with more background on this issue.
- The Long Drought: The Dearth of Public Funding for Headache Research, from Cephalalgia, the journal of the International Headache Society
- NIH Funding for Research on Headache Disorders: Does It Matter?,from Headache, the journal of the American Headache Society
- A Funding Headache, from The Lancet Neurology